Friday, July 6, 2012

You've Just Been Hired! Now What?

Congratulations!  You have just acquired a teaching job.  Welcome to the profession!  This is a rewarding job where you can affect many people in a relatively short period of time (180 Days).  The questions you had before getting the job are now morphing into what the year may bring.  It is important as a first year teacher to remember there is a lot you don't know and thus, it is important to ask questions about the unknown.  During your journey you will discover much on your own and many will share information over your upcoming year.  Some of the questions that you want to be considering now that you have the job are:
  • What does my schedule look like?
  • Where can I access the material for preparation over the summer?
  • Does this school use Syllabi and if so, is there a format?
  • Does this school have its own grade books and lesson planners that I can use?
  • When will I receive my class list?
  • When will I be able to set up my e-mail and voice mail?
  • Is it possible to see the classroom/s that I will be using this year?
  • How can I access the teacher and student handbook?
  • Is there a copy of the curriculum for me to access?
  • Will there be a seminar for the new teachers to the system?  If not, how will I be aided in acclimating to this school?
  • Is there a location where I can locate the school calender for planning?

Some of the questions may not be answered until closer to the actual school year as some schools have new teachers meetings towards the end of summer (make sure to find out from the question above).  However, without knowing, it is important to consider all of the above questions because if they are not answered before school it can add to the pressure and stress at the beginning of the year.

On top of all of the logistics questions mentioned above, make sure to consider how your classroom will look and what you will be teaching.  This includes your syllabus, classroom layout, order of units, and at least the first few weeks of school.

At this point do not become overwhelmed.  You will have time.  You will be able to find answers.  Make sure to stay relaxed but focused as you begin preparations for the upcoming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment